The original Chard of Chard farm was a small farmer from Dorset called Richard Chard who arrived in Central Otago in 1862.
The current landholder, on the same spectacular site, is owner Rob Hay who purchased the farm in 1987, seeing the former fruit orchard as ideal place for viticulture, armed with years of study at wine school in Germany.
A contender for best sited cellar door in the word, Chard Farm sits above a gorge where the fast-flowing Kawarau River flows down towards Queenstown. The Remarkables ski area and the Kawarau Gorge Suspension Bridge, the birthplace of bungee-jumping are around the corner.
The great success of their Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays allowed for expansion into the Cromwell basin where they now farm four vineyards.